BRUSSELS - Voicing concern about tax evasion that is estimated at one trillion euros, European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso said Tuesday that EU leaders will meet at a one-day summit on Wednesday to negotiate solution. The European Union can't afford to let tax evasion go on the way it is. Such large amounts of money, currently sitting in tax havens, would be greatly beneficial ...
FRANKFURT - Germany's central bank Deutsche Bundesbank expects the country's economy to improve "markedly" in the second quarter relying on signals of pick up in industrial orders and likelihood of weather related downturn in construction sector no longer impacting investment sentiments a development that could boost the wider eurozone as it struggles to get out of recession. "Overall ...
NEW YORK - Pharma major Pfizer has discontinued the development of cancer candidate inotuzumab ozogamicin, which is part of a class of therapies called antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), in the haematological cancer non-Hodgkin lymphoma after it failed to show benefit in overall survival during phase III trials. Pfizer has notified the study investigators and appropriate regulatory authorities ...
WASHINGTON - GrubHub Inc. and Seamless North America LLC, two of the biggest online services for food-delivery in the U.S., have entered into a definitive agreement to combine their companies to take on rivals in the growing market for online meal orders. The merger will create a combined company well positioned to drive more orders to restaurants, deliver a better experience for hungry ...
LONDON - The UK housing market seems to be picking up with gross mortgage lending up 4.3 per cent in April over previous month to 12.1 billion pounds, the highest in over four years, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML). The mortgage lending was 21% higher than April 2012, but this data is skewed by the end of the stamp duty concession on 24 March, 2012. Under the stamp duty ...
The Other Guys [Blu-Ray]
The buddy-cop action movie has been parodied, gently and otherwise, so many times at this point that it would be reasonable to think that there is very little left to do with it (and if you had the misfortune of sitting through Kevin Smiths obnoxiously unfunny Cop Out earlier thi ... ...
Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
Microsoft has unveiled its latest video gaming console 'Xbox One' which is believed to transform games, TV and entertainment for the 21st century living room. The latest console reportedly promises a vision of the future. According to a report by the Mirror, 'Xbox One' will allow users to turn on the device with words like "Xbox On", and "snap" will allow users to watch two things at ...
Microsoft unveiled a new Xbox console Tuesday that represents a major upgrade on the US-market-leading Xbox 360 model. The president of the IT giant's Interactive Entertainment Business, Don Mattrick, revealed the hi-tech Xbox One entertainment and gaming console during an event at Microsoft's Redmond, Washington, campus. The Xbox One was presented as an all-in-one system for gaming, watching ...
REDMOND, WASHINGTON Microsoft Corp gave the world the first look at its new game console on Tuesday, hoping the Xbox One will attract existing video game fans while also becoming a hub for living room entertainment. The third-generation Microsoft console, coming eight years after the Xbox 360, was unveiled by games unit chief Don Mattrick at an event at the software company's campus ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Grand Hyatt Dubai
I drove up to one of Dubai's newest luxury hotels, the Grand Hyatt Dubai, with it's towers majestically standing watch ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Kenya StarKenya Star – Continuously Updating Kenya News
Not only in East Africa, but newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
Kenya Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Kenya news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others.
National Kenyan news is a priority. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what is happening in business, and in the financial markets. General interest topics too include breaking Internet news, food and drinks stories, and the latest developments in Science.
Whether it is the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it is local Kenya news, the weather forecast for cities in Kenya, you will find it all at Kenya Star.
From Mombasa to the capital Nairobi, Kenya Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional East Africa, and national.
Floods caused by heavy rains in Kenya since March have claimed the lives of at least 90 people and displaced more than 100,000 others, the Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) said Friday.
Kenya's coastal and western regions are among the worst hit.
"The government should consider declaring flooding a national disaster in some of the counties so as to increase the emergency," Xinhua quoted KRCS Secretary General Abbas Gullet as saying.
He said more resources from the central government are urgently required.
"We are aware that the government has not set aside the funds and so money will have to be diverted from other sources," he said.
Last month, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) appealed to the international community for $3.8 million in aid for landslide and flood victims.
- Kenya Space strained Kisii court gets facelift
- Kenya Ministry to reduce directors in new structure
- World Is Pope Francis an exorcist
- Kenya misses out as Obamas Africa tour plays catch-up
- Kenya leaders named in truth report
- Uganda can help peace in Darfur by stopping support to rebels Sudan says
- South Sudan initiative aims to keep young girls in primary school | Mark Tran
- A C-Turn and SPLM Is Full Swing Into Regionalism
- Khartoum denies blocking South Sudan oil flow
- Unity and Reconciliation Necessary for Sustainable Peace in Darfur
- Columbus State University Implements Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Environment
- International Biodiversity Day in photos
- Will Emirates love for environment drive in hybrid cars
- Laos considers requirements to adopt timber trade regulations
- Greenpeace drops item on Swedish reactor from glider to make point
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- South Australian Tourism Commission using short films to show new side to city
- Plasticity 2013 Hong Kong serves up sustainable plastic solutions
- OpenJaw forms strategic alliance with TravelSky to bring t-Retailing to China
- ICCA announces destination for 2016 Congress
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Paulina Rubio to be judge on `X Factor
- Paris Hiltons beau shoves harassing female fan at Cannes
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- IPL Spot-fixing TV star Vindu Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Facebook considered social burden by teens Study
- CA considering social media policy after Warner Twitter rant
- Seth MacFarlane wont host 2014 Oscar
- Sarah Palin disproves climate change as it snowed in Alaska in May
- Social network addiction taking over lives Australian study
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Kenya Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Vitamin C kills drug-resistant TB bacteria
- Michelle Keegan doesnt understand her sex symbol status
- Nanotech roundup safety concerns bionic ears and worlds smallest movie | Ros Daw
- US Space Tech Conference Expo focuses on commercial space flight
- Canadian killed in escalating violence in Iraq