By Jacob K. LupaiMay 21, 2013 - South Sudan has just attained independence from an imposed unity that had failed miserably to take into account the objective realities on the ground. In the old Sudan people did not take national unity as a project for each and every Sudanese. Greed and insensitivity preoccupied people's minds and the result was the breakup of Sudan into two independent ...
THE Council of East and Central Africa football Association (Cecafa) is set to hold the draw for this year's Kagame Cup Club Championship on Tuesday in the Sudanese capital Khartoum. After holding a final inspection in Darfur and Gordofan on Sunday and Monday, the regional tournament has been cleared to be hosted in the two states from June 18 to July 2. Speaking to Times Sport yesterday, ...
As conflict, natural disasters, epidemic outbreaks and chronic food insecurity continue to plague Sudan, millions of people have been forced to leave their homes, making them more vulnerable and in critical need of humanitarian assistance. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) has launched an emergency appeal for more than 3.7 million Swiss francs (3.8 ...
Manama, May 21 (BNA) -- State Minister for Foreign Affairs Ghanim bin Fadhl Al-Buainin received today the Sudanese Ambassador to Bahrain Abdulla Ahmed Othman. During the meeting, the State Minister welcomed the Sudanese Ambassador, reviewed the distinguished bilateral relations between both countries in various fields, affirming the Kingdom's keenness on expanding cooperation, and ...
Tue May 21, 2013 7:32am EDT * Arab firms lease farmland in Sudan to secure food for Gulf * Lebanon's GLB to invest up to $800 million in Sudan By Ulf Laessing KHARTOUM, May 21 (Reuters) - Lebanese farmland investor GLB Invest plans to invest up to $800 million in Sudan to produce animal feed to be sold to Saudi Arabia, its president said on Tuesday. Arab investors have launched farmland and ...
Fiend Without a Face [DVD]
Fiend Without a Face is considered by many to be the best movie of the brief, five-year outpouring of science-fiction/horror hybrids in Great Britain in the late 1950s. Although shot on a tight budget, Fiend is a well-crafted and generally suspenseful genre flick that has held up surprisingly well, despite its sometimes dated dialogue and reliance on Cold War-era paranoia and fe ... ...
Khartoum - Displaced civilians on their way to Dereige camp in South Darfur were attacked by an unidentified armed group on 16 May, according to UK-based advocacy group the Sudan Social Development Organisation (SUDO). In a statement, SUDO UK says members of the armed gang threatened to kill their civilian hostages unless a 6,000 Sudanese pound ransom was paid. The group were en route from ...
Khartoum - Sudan's Council of States has decided to suspend its sessions in order to enable its members to head to their constituencies and lead a mobilisation campaign in support of the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) in its ongoing battle with rebel groups which have stepped up their military activities in recent months. The head of the Council, Adam Hamid Musa, said that Sudan's national ...
Bor - The South Sudanese army (SPLA) says it has retaken control of an area previously held by rebels in the remote Boma town in Jonglei state. Army spokesperson Phillip Aguer told Sudan Tribune on Saturday that the SPLA had restored law and order in the town, which had been under the control of David Yau Yau-led forces for days. "The SPLA has restored law and order in Boma town. The SPLA ...
Juba - South Sudan on Monday summoned the Chinese ambassador to Juba to complain over an alleged blockage of the flow of its oil to international markets through Sudanese territory, government sources have said. Chinese companies dominate the South Sudanese oil industry having been welcomed into Sudan before the South seceded from the north in 2011 taking with 75% of the country's 500,000 ...
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon condemned Abyei killings and called for calm after the Ngok Dinka chief Kual Deng Majok and the Ethiopian peacekeeper died in an "attack" by a Misseriya tribesman in the region on Saturday. Ban Ki-moon said he "strongly condemns" the killings, and urged both tribes as well as the governments of Sudan and South Sudan to "avoid any ...
On the record
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Grand Hyatt Dubai
I drove up to one of Dubai's newest luxury hotels, the Grand Hyatt Dubai, with it's towers majestically standing watch ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Kenya StarKenya Star – Continuously Updating Kenya News
Not only in East Africa, but newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
Kenya Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Kenya news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others.
National Kenyan news is a priority. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what is happening in business, and in the financial markets. General interest topics too include breaking Internet news, food and drinks stories, and the latest developments in Science.
Whether it is the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it is local Kenya news, the weather forecast for cities in Kenya, you will find it all at Kenya Star.
From Mombasa to the capital Nairobi, Kenya Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional East Africa, and national.
Floods caused by heavy rains in Kenya since March have claimed the lives of at least 90 people and displaced more than 100,000 others, the Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) said Friday.
Kenya's coastal and western regions are among the worst hit.
"The government should consider declaring flooding a national disaster in some of the counties so as to increase the emergency," Xinhua quoted KRCS Secretary General Abbas Gullet as saying.
He said more resources from the central government are urgently required.
"We are aware that the government has not set aside the funds and so money will have to be diverted from other sources," he said.
Last month, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) appealed to the international community for $3.8 million in aid for landslide and flood victims.
- Kenya Shun alcohol Uhuru urges Central Kenya youth
- Kenya Kidero suspends six City Hall officers over extortion
- Kenya fine about Obama avoiding it on Africa trip
- Kenya Technology goes on errand in Nairobi
- Kenya fine with Obama snub
- National unity a project for each and every South Sudanese
- Kagame Cup Draws Set for Today in Khartoum
- Red Cross Red Crescent Appeals for 3.7 Million Swiss Francs As Needs Intensify in Sudan
- Foreign State Minister receives Sudanese Ambassador
- Lebanese farmland firm to invest up to $800 million in Sudan
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Matt Ridley has joined the real climate debate
- Pests that bug us have their own ecological importance
- Danzer feels the bite as the FSC show its teeth
- Fallen trees damage homeowners cars
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Chiranjeevi offers wide opportunities to foreign film producers in India
- Civil Aviation Minister takes action against erring DGCA officers
- Mexicos tourism sector goes up
- Paris Hiltons beau shoves harassing female fan at Cannes
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- IPL Spot-fixing TV star Vindu Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Maarty Broekman wants to work with Alesha Dixon
- Too much time indoors may damage kids eyes
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
- Warner expected to plead guilty for Twitter rant during CA hearing
- Sarah Palin disproves climate change as it snowed in Alaska in May
- Social network addiction taking over lives Australian study
- Facebook booked over group exhorting cow slaughter
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Kenya Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Michelle Keegan doesnt understand her sex symbol status
- Venus Jupiter and Mercury will dance in spring twilight
- Vitamin D from sun may treat asthma says study
- Need more freedom for filmmaking in India Anurag Kashyap
- Tim Peake to become first official British astronaut to visit International Space Station - video