BEIJING - China, the world's biggest carbon emitter, is set to launch Tuesday its first carbon trading scheme as a pilot project in the southern city of Shenzhen as part of efforts to cut emissions in its key cities. Carbon emissions trading schemes are meant to encourage companies to reduce their carbon dioxide emissions by setting a limit or a cap, on the level of emission that can be ...
As many as 118 suspects have been detained in China for their involvement in environmental pollution cases, authorities said Tuesday. The ministry of public security said the suspects were detained since January, Xinhua reported. Most of the pollution cases involve mining or petrochemical factories. Some factories reportedly discharged toxic substances into the environment illegally, while ...
Foetal exposure to common environmental chemical bisphenol A (BPA) causes increased inflammation in fat tissues after birth, which can lead to obesity and metabolic syndrome, a new research has suggested. BPA, found in plastic water bottles, older baby bottles and many other consumer products, is a known hormone disrupter with estrogen-like properties. Study's lead author, Almudena ...
17 June 2013 150 The United Nations General Assembly will begin today its consideration of the impacts that the increasing acidification of the world's oceans will have on the marine environment and on people. This year's informal Consultative Process on oceans, which opens today and runs through 20 June, will provide a forum for countries to discuss the challenges posed by rising ocean ...
Godfrey Oliphant, South Africa's Deputy Minister of Mineral Resources (left) Karim Kassam, Vice President, Business & Corporate Development, Ballard Power System (right) (CNW Group/Ballard Power Systems ...
Zack Snyders Sucker Punch unfolds like a video game-addled adolescent boys wet dream wrapped up in pseudo-feminist fits of girl power. Snyder, who is best known for the ultraviolent graphic novel adaptations of 300 (2006) and Watchmen (2009), is working from his own ... ...
MANILA, Philippines – The Greenpeace on Friday asked the Philippine Department of Agriculture (DA) to stop the field trials of the genetically engineered (GE) Bt eggplant because it won’t be helpful and there are a lot of safety ...
Country diary Wenlock Edge Could the psychedelic blueness of these bugle flowers help to heal the land
Blue as an ambulance light, the patch of bugle flowers in the wood. Once open, maybe a long-abandoned garden before trees took hold, this place becomes the dreamy point of midsummer, with its own reality surrounded by a pervading anxiety. At the entrance to the wood is a pull-in off the lane where cars stop for dog walkers, fly-tipping, canoodling. A man gets out. "A good day for a ...
Everyone bewildered by the seemingly unprecedented weirdness of this year's summer might spare a thought for those living in 1783, who went through another kind of trial by weather. Gilbert White of Selborne's account of the events of 23 June to 20 July is a masterpiece of deadpan gothic: "The sun, at noon, looked as blank as a clouded moon, and shed a rust coloured ferruginous ...
June 18, 2013 /CNW/ - Finavera Wind Energy Inc. ('Finavera') (TSX-V: FVR) is pleased to announce the results of its Annual General and Special Shareholder Meeting ...
The green credentials of biofuel crops have been sullied in recent years. Rienk van Grondelle believes the answer to the world's clean energy needs will be super-efficient ...
On the record
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Hyatt Regency Islandia on San Diego's Mission Bay
Taking Highway 5 north of downtown San Diego, and exiting about 6 miles up on 8 West I soon came ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
Kenya StarKenya Star – Continuously Updating Kenya News
Not only in East Africa, but newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
Kenya Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Kenya news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others.
National Kenyan news is a priority. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what is happening in business, and in the financial markets. General interest topics too include breaking Internet news, food and drinks stories, and the latest developments in Science.
Whether it is the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it is local Kenya news, the weather forecast for cities in Kenya, you will find it all at Kenya Star.
From Mombasa to the capital Nairobi, Kenya Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional East Africa, and national.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) has ruled that Kenya's deputy president, William Ruto, must attend key segments of his trial on charges of crimes against humanity scheduled to begin in September, according to a court spokesman.
Ruto and Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta face similar charges before the court in connection with their alleged role in the country's 2007-2008 post-election violence.
"The trial chamber has decided to grant the excusal from being present at the trial, except for key hearings of the opening, the closing, the statements of the parties, and when the victims will be presenting their personal concerns and views as well as when the verdict will be pronounced. And eventually if applicable, all the issues related to sentencing and reparations for the victims,rdquo; said Fadi el-Abdallah, ICC spokesman.
Ruto's defense attorneys had petitioned the court to excuse him from having to attend the trial. They also requested that Ruto be allowed to use a video-link during his trial.
El-Abdallah said that since the trial chamber granted the request to excuse Ruto from being present during all of the trial, the judges did not need to examine the subsidiary request for the video link. ...
- Kenyas Deputy Leader to Appear during ICC Trial
- India becomes Kenyas largest Asian trading partner
- Kenya Auditor Generals office hit as staff eye better jobs
- Kenya Commanders assume office amid uproar
- Constitution Commission Cautions on Transferring Functions to Counties
- South Sudan Theft From S. Sudan Presidents Office Inside Job
- Sudan and South violate border agreement deploy forces in buffer zone
- South Sudan Lack of Access Rains Hinder Aid to Jonglei IDPs
- Ashton calls for restoration of peace in Sudan
- Unamid Kicks Off Week-Long Awareness Campaign On Road Safety
- Shenzen to be first Chinese city to begin carbon trading
- Over 100 Chinese held for environmental pollution
- Prenatal exposure to chemical in plastic could lead to obesity
- UN General Assembly set to explore impacts of ocean acidification
- S.African Govt Supports Ballard and Anglo American Platinum Fuel Cell Systems Deployment
- Passenger on Frontier Airlines Flight Charged with Communicating False Information and Threats
- In Transit Blog A Royal-Style Room Has a Crib
- Heads Up In Milan a Surge of Burger Spots
- Personal Journeys Finding Gems on the Tuscan Coast
- Three States Getting Closer to Creating Infrastructure for Mattress Recycling - By Glenn Hasek
- US Taliban to have direct peace talks
- Snoop gear in set-top boxes may soon monitor TV viewers every move
- Charles Saatchi confesses to assaulting wife Nigella Lawson in public
- Rupert Murdoch splits empire but keeps faith in tomorrows newspapers
- BermanBraun Inks Multiyear Production Deal with MGM
- Minor raped video uploaded on social media
- Michelle Obamas bangs at G8 Summit slammed on Twitter
- Nawaz Sharifs million dollar watch rumours go viral on Twitter
- Facebooks mysterious big idea Thursday event has netizens buzzing
- DuckDuckGo Sees Record Traffic After NSA PRISM Scandal
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Kenya Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- 280 new moon craters identified
- Steven and Alex Gerrard soak up the sun in Ibiza on 6th wedding anniversary
- ESAs Herschel telescope finally switched off
- US progressing towards first human-to-asteroid space mission UN committee told
- White House Petition Calls for Ban of Creation Science Intelligent Design From Schools