WASHINGTON - Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation Friday announced the planned separation of the $76-billion conglomerate into two distinct publicly traded companies, with one to be renamed 21st Century Fox and the publishing firm to retain the News Corp brand. The split has been formally approved by the Board of Directors. The Company announced appointments to the Boards of Directors of both ...
BEIJING - Chinese regulators Friday announced that they have signed a memorandum of understanding with their US counterparts giving American authorities increased access to documents from Chinese audit firms. The signing of the MOU between China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC), the Ministry of Finance (MOF) and the US Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) is a significant ...
ZAGREB/LONDON - Croatia, soon to become the 28th member of the European Union,- is looking to undiscovered oil and gas fields in the Adriatic Sea to revive its ailing economy, according to the country's president. Ivo Josipovic told CNN that Croatia is searching for partners in the energy sector to help reveal oil and gas "green fields" in the waters that separate the Balkan nations and ...
WASHINGTON - Amazon, the largest online retailer of books, movies, music and games, Friday offered its Kindle e-book platform to fan fiction authors to sell some of their work. Fan fiction is literature inspired by popular books, shows, movies, comics, music, and games. Publication outside of blogs and online fanzines is often difficult because of copyright issues. Amazon Publishing has ...
BEIJING - China is planning to steadily push forward market-oriented reform in its interest rates and exchange rates mechanisms this year as part of the financial sector reforms to better serve the real economy, a central bank report said on Friday. The "China Financial Stability Report (2013) released by the People's Bank of China stressed that it would be steadily promoting the interest ...
Night and the City [DVD]
At the beginning of Jules Dassins Night and the City, Harry Fabian (Richard Widmark) is on the run, and at the end of the film, he is on the run. Harry is the kind of man who is always running from someone and into something else. Hes a schemer, a hustler of easily mallea ... ...
DUBLIN/ WASHINGTON Ireland-based biotechnology firm Elan Thursday rejected Royalty Pharma's increased $6.4 billion takeover bid, shortly after the U.S. firm cut the acceptance bar for its latest offer to 50 percent plus one share. Royalty raised its hostile cash bid to $12.50 per share on Monday, from $11.25 previously, but made the new offer conditional on Elan shareholders rejecting, at a ...
LONDON - In a critique of the United Kingdom's austerity programme, the International Monetary Fund Wednesday urged the Europe's third largest economy to rebalance the policy to make the transition to a high-investment and more export-oriented economy. "The UK could boost growth by bringing forward measures already included in its fiscal plan, such as spending on infrastructure and job ...
The Food and Drug Administration hopes to have the regulations in place later this year. Restaurants would likely have six months from then to ...
Opening just in time for Memorial Day weekend, the San Diego Zoo's new Conrad Prebys Australian Outback exhibit has twice as much space as the old koala exhibit, with room for bulldozing wombats, cackling kookaburra and snoozy wallabies. Not to mention more koalas and many more places to watch them do what koalas ...
Internet radio outfit Slacker detected a touch of gray in its service last year. The retro/biker dashboard player for Web and mobile listeners essentially had gone unchanged since the San Diego company was founded in ...
On the record
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Canada
A grand traditional hotel, in the heart of downtown Vancouver. The hotel is one of three Fairmonts in this Canadian-gateway ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Kenya StarKenya Star – Continuously Updating Kenya News
Not only in East Africa, but newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
Kenya Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Kenya news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others.
National Kenyan news is a priority. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what is happening in business, and in the financial markets. General interest topics too include breaking Internet news, food and drinks stories, and the latest developments in Science.
Whether it is the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it is local Kenya news, the weather forecast for cities in Kenya, you will find it all at Kenya Star.
From Mombasa to the capital Nairobi, Kenya Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional East Africa, and national.
JUBA, SOUTH SUDAN South Sudan President Salva Kiir said Thursday that he would "never acceptrdquo; the International Criminal Court. He spoke during a visit from new Kenyan president and ICC indictee Uhuru Kenyatta, who pledged the creation of roads, rail and pipelines to deepen economic ties between Kenya and the new nation.
It was Uhuru Kenyatta's first visit to South Sudan since becoming Kenya's president, and he was greeted with open arms by Salva Kiir, who told him "this is your homerdquo; and pledged the new nation's solidarity with the contentious leader and his people.
Kenyatta took office after winning a March election while under indictment from the ICC, which accuses him of inciting some of the ethnic violence that followed the disputed 2007 vote.
But while western nations were slow to congratulate him, other African leaders were quick to support him, regardless of looming charges at the Hague tribunal.
On Thursday, Kiir dismissed the court and South Sudan's willingness to sign up to it via the Rome Statute, echoing statements by some other African leaders that the court seems to target them.
"We have talked about these problems of the ICC, that the ICC, whatever has been written in Rome, has never been used against any one of their presidents or heads of states. ...
- Kenya bank on free-kick specialist against Eagles
- Kenya Elusive unity remains AUs toughest test
- Kenyan Woman Claims She Was Kept as Domestic Slave
- Kenya Egypt rebuilds its Energy sector after Turmoil
- N. Bahr El Ghazal MPs Reject Interrogation Over Calls for Dissolution
- Unamid Delivers Medical Supplies to North Darfur Population
- African Union Donates Funds to Darfur for Development Peace-Building
- South Sudan President Says Never to ICC
- 300000 Displaced in Darfur Conflict UN Says
- Repressing Rights While Talking Law in Uganda
- Kenya Family demands return of terror suspect detained in Uganda
- Uganda - Ugandan police defy court order occupy publication premises
- Continuing push for Great Lakes peace UN chief in Uganda after visit to Rwanda
- Turkish Cargo Expands Freighter Trucking Services
- Xi pledges to safeguard the environment
- Top 10 coastal hikes in California and the Pacific Northwest
- Guest Move ahead with environmental study on coal trains
- How To Be A Real Leader - Even When Youre In A Fake Environment
- Woman trapped as car hits trees
- Diversion of flight fails to save passenger from Ireland
- Pakistani plane forced to land near London two held
- Two held over Pakistani planes mid-air alert
- Britain sends up fighters as Pakistani plane diverted
- I-5 bridge collapse will cause headaches for tourism B.C. trucking industry
- Board approves News Corp split into two entities
- BBC editor apologises for Muslim remark
- Now a radio that can change scripts depending on where you are
- IPL fixers should be banned government must act Sharad Yadav
- TV characters slammed for on-screen unhealthy lifestyles
- Facebook doesnt excite teens anymore
- Facebook Phone launch canceled in U.K. as Home gets facelift
- Remember Me is a beat em up video game for the Facebook generation
- Twitter Amplify Turns Up the Volume On Dual-Screen Advertising
- i Assistant Editors Letter Social media and citizen journalism
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Kenya Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Private firms may travel to lunar surface NASA report
- Bidder pays $1.5M for space trip with Leonardo DiCaprio
- Hubble reveals Ring Nebulas true shape
- Ecuadorian satellite escapes collision with Russian rocket
- Rare birth of mega-galaxy captured by space telescope