Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt and director of Google Ideas Jared Cohen have warned London School of Economics students against censorship on the internet and the dangers that 'digital ethnic cleansing' pose. Sky News quoted Schmidt, as saying that people will omit data if they want to restrict communication and information. He, however, agreed that any piece of information cannot be ...
HP has unveiled the Envy Rove20 all-in-one (AIO) PC, an Intel Haswell powered mobile computer that is aimed at liberating the traditional desktop PC from the desktop. HP said the Envy Rove20 gives users more flexibility and allows them to "enjoy a shared environment" around the home via its 20in multi-touch display that has in-plane switching (IPS) technology and 1600x900 resolution. ...
a report issued this week by Placed , a Seattle-based company that aims to bring Internet-like marketing analytics to the offline world. That seems like a surprising number. It's hard to know for sure how accurate it is, or how effectively such reports might sell companies on Placed's services, though they do help the company ...
WordPress.com parent companyraises $50 million. FORTUNE -- WordPress.com parent company Automattic today announced a $50 million investment from Tiger Global, in a secondary deal that will provide liquidity to early company shareholders. The San Francisco-based company declined to discuss valuation, but a source familiar with the situation says that Tiger valuedAutomattic "just ...
LONDON (Reuters) - Broadcaster ITV on Friday became the latest media outlet to have one of its Twitter feeds hacked by anonymous supporters of Syria's President Bashar al-Assad, just days after Twitter beefed up security to prevent ...
End of Watch
David Ayers End of Watch is a potentially powerful story about the lethal daily grind of patrolling South Central Los Angeles that is wrecked by misguided aesthetics. Ayer, who grew up in South Central and is best known as the screenwriter of The Fast and the Furious (2001) ... ...
(Credit: Screenshot by Lance Whitney/CNET) Those you eyeing an iPad Mini or fourth-generation iPad can now save a bit more money on refurbished models courtesy of Apple. As of Friday, Apple is offering 15 to 17 percent discounts on all flavors of refurbished units of ...
) Amusing Amazon reviews are an art form. They are delicate flowers of funny that need to be carefully nurtured in order to strike the right balance between absurdity, plausibility, and humor. George Takei, known at Mr. Sulu on "Star Trek" and Mr. Internet anywhere social media resides, has the magic formula down. Only slight sleuthing is needed to determine that the ...
Paul Adams/Facebook ) Paul Adams, Facebook's global head of brand design, announced Friday that he has left the social network to join startup Intercom, which makes a social customer relationship management ...
Digg's long-awaited Google Reader alternative finally has a name. The new platform will be known as Digg Reader, said CEO Andrew McLaughlin while speaking at Internet Week New York earlier this week. Rather than act as a separate app, the program will be incorporated into Digg. "Users will have one download, which is Digg, and the current Digg will have added onto it reader ...
(Credit: Blake Stevenson) Low Latency is a weekly comic on CNET's Crave blog written by CNET editor and podcast host Jeff Bakalar and illustrated by Blake Stevenson. Be sure to check Crave every Friday at 8 a.m. PT for new panels! Want more? ...
On the record
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Canada
A grand traditional hotel, in the heart of downtown Vancouver. The hotel is one of three Fairmonts in this Canadian-gateway ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Kenya StarKenya Star – Continuously Updating Kenya News
Not only in East Africa, but newspapers the world over strive to provide readers with the ultimate news coverage.
Kenya Star is no exception.
As an online news service we have advantages over traditional newspapers in that stories can be added and updated 24 hours day.
Our objective is to provide the most comprehensive Kenya news available, from our resources, contracted wire services and an inventory of some thousands of sources comprising newspapers, cable and TV networks, radio stations, public broadcasters, NGOs and others.
National Kenyan news is a priority. We do however strive to provide a complete news services for our readers. World news headlines top several of our pages, we also provide news on what is happening in business, and in the financial markets. General interest topics too include breaking Internet news, food and drinks stories, and the latest developments in Science.
Whether it is the latest Nikkei 225 reading in Tokyo, the sterling exchange rate in London, or the status of the Nasdaq in New York, whether it is local Kenya news, the weather forecast for cities in Kenya, you will find it all at Kenya Star.
From Mombasa to the capital Nairobi, Kenya Star should be your number one choice for breaking news - local, regional East Africa, and national.
JUBA, SOUTH SUDAN South Sudan President Salva Kiir said Thursday that he would "never acceptrdquo; the International Criminal Court. He spoke during a visit from new Kenyan president and ICC indictee Uhuru Kenyatta, who pledged the creation of roads, rail and pipelines to deepen economic ties between Kenya and the new nation.
It was Uhuru Kenyatta's first visit to South Sudan since becoming Kenya's president, and he was greeted with open arms by Salva Kiir, who told him "this is your homerdquo; and pledged the new nation's solidarity with the contentious leader and his people.
Kenyatta took office after winning a March election while under indictment from the ICC, which accuses him of inciting some of the ethnic violence that followed the disputed 2007 vote.
But while western nations were slow to congratulate him, other African leaders were quick to support him, regardless of looming charges at the Hague tribunal.
On Thursday, Kiir dismissed the court and South Sudan's willingness to sign up to it via the Rome Statute, echoing statements by some other African leaders that the court seems to target them.
"We have talked about these problems of the ICC, that the ICC, whatever has been written in Rome, has never been used against any one of their presidents or heads of states. ...
- South Sudans President Says Never to ICC
- Kenya KWS entangled in insurance anomalies that may cost taxpayers Sh40m
- Kenya TJRC demands justice for Taveta residents
- African Union Reject Kenya’s attempt to shield its leaders from accountability
- Kenya My passion healing snake bites is beyond making huge profits
- South Sudans President Says Never to ICC
- N. Bahr El Ghazal MPs Reject Interrogation Over Calls for Dissolution
- Unamid Delivers Medical Supplies to North Darfur Population
- African Union Donates Funds to Darfur for Development Peace-Building
- 300000 Displaced in Darfur Conflict UN Says
- Continuing push for Great Lakes peace UN chief in Uganda after visit to Rwanda
- Uganda Activists arrested as disturbing crackdown on media continues
- Uganda boxing trainer gives expert advice to aspiring pugilists
- Ban Ki-Moon World Bank Chief Visit
- Uganda Holds National Sickle Cell Meet
- Advocates Cheer Tightening of Extractives Transparency Standards
- Citi Bikes land in New York what to expect from the long-awaited scheme
- Life Discovered in Earths Coldest Environment Yet
- Chile blocks Pascua-Lama mine fines Barrick for environmental violations
- Climate change study with a large side-order of caveats
- Diversion of flight fails to save passenger from Ireland
- Pakistani plane forced to land near London two held
- Two held over Pakistani planes mid-air alert
- Britain sends up fighters as Pakistani plane diverted
- 1001 Chinese Tales Birth tourism reveals collective Chinese anxiety
- Twitter beefs up security with two-step login
- Facebook doesnt excite teens anymore
- Another Peak Facebook Prediction
- In this weeks issue Jumping into action
- Twitter libel Sally Bercow says she has learned the hard way as she settles with Tory peer Lord McAlpine over libellous tweet
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Kenya Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Private firms may travel to lunar surface NASA report
- Bidder pays $1.5M for space trip with Leonardo DiCaprio
- Hubble reveals Ring Nebulas true shape
- Ecuadorian satellite escapes collision with Russian rocket
- Rare birth of mega-galaxy captured by space telescope